These are just 10 things that I’ve learnt in Year 1, Semester 1 in university:
- There is always time to do things, it is just up to you to plan your time properly. Every single minute of the day must be treasured and used to the max.
- Quality is better than quantity. Be it in terms of revision hours, sleep hours or even time spent socialising.
- 20 Seconds of courage. We need to always be brave for just a mere 20 seconds and step out of our comfort zone. We need to be brave to try new things and talk to new people.
- Ask, ask, ask. If you do not know something, ask. Don’t be shy because everyone is there learning too. You might actually do them a favour by asking. Also, ask your professors and TAs. Make use of them.
- It is important to make friends. The more friendships you make, the easier your life is in university. The more options that you open yourself up to.
- There’s always lessons to learn from everyone. Each and everyone in university has at least 18 years of life experience. Tap on that.
- Sometimes, we need to learn to stop fighting a futile battle. Sometimes, you just couldn’t get your head around certain modules or what the module is asking from you. Just recognise that sometimes we need to put our weapons down and re-strategise.
- Learn to accept that sometimes, hard work does not pay off. There’s always someone better than you or you’re just not good at it. Disappointment can creep in when you get a bad result. Learn to stand up again, take a breather and move on quickly.
- Make mistakes. That’s the only way to learn.
- You are never alone. There’s always someone out there experiencing the same problem you are.